Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman’s diplomatic push last week in Brussels to convince the EU to designate the Lebanese-based Hezbollah group as a terror entity was met with robust resistance.
sought to inject new life into the drive to outlaw Hezbollah because of
the murders of five Israelis and a Bulgarian bus driver on July 18.
Israeli and US intelligence agencies believe Hezbollah carried out the
suicide bombing at Bulgaria's Burgas airport.
Minister Erato Kozakou-Marcoullis, whose country heads the 26-member EU
presidency, said there is “no consensus among the EU member states for
putting Hezbollah on the terrorist list of the organization,” and
claimed there is “no tangible evidence of Hezbollah engaging in acts of
Counter-terrorism blogs and experts on both sides of
the Atlantic were immediately awash with reactions that quickly mounted
overwhelming evidence to refute Kozakou-Marcoullis’s contentions.
Campbell, a research fellow at the Institute for Middle Eastern
Democracy in the United Kingdom, and author of a report in late June on
the EU “Helping Hezbollah,” told The Jerusalem Post on Friday, “Within
just days of the Burgas bombing – almost undoubtedly perpetrated by
Hezbollah – the Presidency of the EU Council explicitly ruled out the
possibility of listing Hezbollah as a terrorist organization, insisting
that there is no ‘tangible evidence’ to link Hezbollah to terrorism.
This ludicrous statement was made despite an earlier resolution adopted
by the European Parliament, which cites ‘clear evidence’ of terrorist
acts committed by Hezbollah. On this issue, as in so many others,
Brussels appears to have its head buried firmly in the sand.”
Read the rest here.